Monday, October 17, 2011

Sangria

I love turning a not so hot bottle of red wine into sangria. I first came across this recipe at a summer cookout and my cousin was kind enough to pass the recipe along. It's from Food Network's Emeril Lagasse. He has several sangria recipes featured on the website but this is the one that I've stuck with. I've shared this recipe with a Halifax friend who shared it at a dinner party where it was a huge hit! This past weekend I also used this recipe once again for a baby shower. Everyone seemed to like it and it certainly was just the thing for a hot summer day. A bit boozy and strong, I'll admit. Word of warning, if drinking in the summer heat, be sure to hydrate yourself with water before cooling off with this fruity cocktail.

There was a liter of Mondavi wine in the cupboard that had been opened for dinner one night. I decided that this was just the type of wine to turn into this yummy sangria. Of course, I had to double the recipe given by Emeril for a liter of wine.

Emeril Lagasse's Sangria Recipe
Courtesy of Food Network
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/sangria-recipe4/index.html

1 (750-ml) bottle red wine
1/4 cup brandy
1/4 cup orange flavored liqueur (recommended: triple sec or Grand Marnier)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 orange, thinly sliced
1/2 lemon, thinly sliced
1 unwaxed apple, cored, and cut into thin wedges
1 (750-ml) bottle sparkling water, chilled

Makes: 1.5 quarts
Cover and chill for 2 hours.
This post was created on July 13, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment