Monday, October 17, 2011

Spicy Jambalaya with Jalapeno Bacon Cornbread

This was the best jambalaya I have ever tasted!


Spicy Curried Jambalaya


chorizo or andouille sausage (this version used soy chorizo)
deveined shrimp
.5 chopped red bell pepper
.5 chopped green bell pepper
1 diced onion
2 jalapenos (sliced)
3 chopped celery stalks

curry powder
sea salt
paprika
cayenne
chili powder

vegetable broth
rice

Jalapeno Bacon Corn Bread
Courtesy of Running to the Kitchen
http://www.runningtothekitchen.com/2011/07/bacon-jalapeno-herb-cornbread/

1 cup yellow cornmeal
all purpose flour
salt
baking soda
baking powder
buttermilk (I used 1 cup milk with a tablespoon vinegar)
2 large eggs
bacon (black forest bacon)
bacon grease

I was disappointed with the texture and moisture of this cornbread. It was not as fluffy and crumbly as I would have liked. I expect cornbread to fall apart in your hand and to be sweet and very moist. This bread was still light but held together quite well and though not dry, it was not as juicy as I would have liked. However it was packed with flavor. Unfortunately the jambalaya was so flavorful and spicy that it overpowered the cornbread.

The appetizer were purchased clam cakes over a bed of corn and lima beans.

Next I want to smoke some brisket and pork butt (a part of the shoulder not the behind) and to serve it with a lima bean, corn, collard green, hot pepper and bacon salad.

This jambalaya, though made in my kitchen, was thrown together by my boyfriend. I had to indiscreetly give him props somewhere on this post. Also this post was created on August 13, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment