Sunday, May 15, 2011

Piled High Apple Pie

It's been a while, my dears, and I'm sorry. Getting settled in a new town takes a lot of time, in my defense.

On the other hand, I found the time to make lots of pie! I was most excited about a chocolate pecan pie I made, but unfortunately I didn't take a single picture. I'll just have to make it again :)

But don't fear! I made the extra-special Aunt Marie's Apple Pie! I've never met Marie, and I'm not even sure she's an aunt, but she makes a mean pie.

I, unfortunately, went a little overboard.

It takes about five or six cortland apples, which work really well, but the store was out of them so I used something that looked similar. The flavour had a lot more apple to it, but mostly I noticed that the apples themselves seemed to pile a lot higher than the cortlands. So basically, you want to core and peel five cups worth of good pie-apples.

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees,then mix together:
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
dash gound nutmeg

and mix with the apples until coated.

Fill the pie dish (which I assume you've already lined with half of your regular pie pastry recipe) with the mixture, and dot with:

2 tbsp butter.

Cover with the other half of your regular pie pastry recipe, and bake for 50 minutes or until done.

You probably want to put some aluminum foil on the bottom of your oven before you do this, as the pie will overflow quite a bit.

I hear through the grapevine that Marie had a special recipe for dough as well, but that it fell behind her stove. But still, this pie is magically more delicious than any other apple pie I've had, even though it might not look like it from the recipe. I think it's the nutmeg that really makes it.

I was short on dough, as I used one recipe to make this pie AND another single crust pie, so it's stretched a little thin. But I made it!



The order of this recipe is terrible. Just terrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment